Tips for safe stretching
Warm up for at least five–preferably 10–minutes before your stretch session.
- Maintain correct body alignment throughout each movement. Learn proper form, making sure you keep your abs pulled in, a natural curve in your low back, and your shoulders, hips and knees in line.
- Execute each move--from start to finish--deliberately and slowly.
- Hold each stretch for 30 seconds, then release. Repeat 2-3 more times for that same muscle group.
- Never bounce. Move into position and hold steadily.
- Use natural breathing while stretching. Never hold your breath.
Never stretch to the point of pain. You should feel some pulling within the muscle, but back off if you feel discomfort or pain.